Sunday, September 30, 2012

# 79 - The Birch Tree Challenge

                                                   
                                                     8" x 10" Oil on Gesso Panel

This weeks Daily Paintworks Challenge.  I am close to being out of canvases and panels, I decided I should use all the ones I have on hand before ordering more.  I painted this one on a smooth surface gesso panel, it was very different to paint on compared to the texture of a canvas.  The paint seemed to want to slide everywhere.  It took awhile to get used to.  I painted quickly and tried to keep it loose.

2 comments:

Dean H. said...

Love your answer to the challenge, Debi! The darks give this piece great depth.
I sometimes use those slick panels, also. I apply a brushed on coat of gesso! Works wonders with how the paint goes on! :)

Debi Hinshaw said...

Thanks so much for your comment Dean. I will have to give the gesso a try - sounds like it could make the difference!